Sunday, November 29, 2015

Our Trip Home to Honor Markel Allen Caldwell

After only two days in Belize, we received the sad news that Mary Ann's father, Markel Allen Caldwell had died at about 11:00 p.m. on Monday, November 16, 2015.  In Belize we had no cell phone service, and no-one at home had any way to contact us to let us know of Markel's death except by Facebook and email.  I was out visiting with our attorneys when Mary Ann stumbled onto the news by computer.  She was all alone that morning in a foreign land and couldn't talk to anyone.  She had messaged me several times during the day, but I hadn't been anywhere where I had wifi, and that was our only method of communication.  In the early afternoon, we stopped at the Church Office in Belize City, and I discovered Mary Ann's messages about Markel's death.  I quickly handed off our remaining appointments that afternoon to my assistant, Set Quinonez, and hurried back to the hotel to comfort Mary Ann as best I could.  The rest that day was a rush as we obtained permission from the Area President, Elder Duncan, to return to the United States for the funeral.  Because we had driven a car into Belize, I had to drive the car back to the Guatemala border and leave it at the Church property in Melchor de Mencos across the border and then return to Belize City to catch a flight out the next morning.  I had to get to the border before they closed, so Luis Ochoa, the Country Coordinator in Belize, and I drove to the border in separate cars at breakneck speed.  We later returned together to Belize City, and I got the chance to hear Luis' compelling life and conversion story.  After a late night haggling with on-line airline ticket sellers, we finally got flights booked to return home.

During our time at home, we visited with Nadine and her family, participated in Markel's funeral, and stayed with Ben and Melanie in a condo in Payson where we got to have a nice family dinner and spend some time together.  We later travelled to Preston and spent Thanksgiving with Dannan and Melanie and their family.  On Friday after Thanksgiving, they headed to Jackson Hole to ski with Ben and his family, while we headed back to Guatemala.  Saying goodbye again was no easier than the first time.  In contemplating the loss of Grandpa Caldwell, I wrote the following:

I lost my father when I was 17. Ever since I met and fell in love with Mary Ann Caldwell when I was 21, Markel Caldwell has been a father to me. He was an honest, hard-working man of few words. He let his works do the talking. In the early years of our relationship I would at times see his temper flare, but over the years I saw him soften, develop great patience and a loving heart. He was generous, forgiving, and kind. He was most tender in his prayers for his children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, when he would often be moved to tears. He taught me by example to plumb a straight line not only in work but in life. I will miss him terribly, but I hope to honor him by living my life as straight as he lived his. I love you, Markel.

No comments:

Post a Comment